Are you planning a visit to Pittsburgh, and hoping to catch a Steelers, Pirates, or Penguins game or a concert by a top artist?
With three championship-winning pro sports teams, three spectacular almost-new stadiums and arenas, and a steady lineup of concerts and shows throughout the year, Pittsburgh gives sports and music fans plenty to love - plus you'll also find lots of other fun things to here.
Planning a last-minute trip to Pittsburgh?
If you're booking a spur-of-the-moment trip to Pittsburgh or visiting for the first time, we have you covered. Here's where to get tickets, best places to stay nearby, and a few other fun things to do.
Game & Concert Tickets
- Pittsburgh Steelers home games at Acrisure Stadium
- Pittsburgh Pirates home games at PNC Park
- Pittsburgh Penguins home games at PPC Paints Arena
- Concerts at PPG Paints Arena and other Pittsburgh music venues
- All Pittsburgh events (including smaller venues)
Where to Stay in Pittsburgh
- Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Pittsburgh - Easy walk to all 3 sports venues
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh North Shore - Quick walk to PNC Park and Acrisure Stadium
- Cambria - Across the street from PPG Paints Arena
Fun Ways to Explore Pittsburgh
Top photo: Pittsburgh skyline at night - Photo credit: iStock.com/Jon Bilous
Stadium Events Guide is a reader-supported publication. When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission at no additional cost for you. Learn more
Top Things to Do and See in Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh arenas and stadiums also host other ice hockey tournaments, college games (Duquesne University, University of Pittsburgh, just to name a couple), Cirque du Soleil, Disney on Ice, WWE, numerous concerts featuring artists such as Paul McCartney, Justin Bieber, and Céline Dion, plus lots of other exciting events.
A growing number of craft breweries, tasty local food specialties, excellent museums, A cool neighborhoods. A hip culture fueled in part by students and recent grads from the area's almost 70 colleges and universities including University of Pittsburgh, Carnegie Mellon, and Duquesne University add to the reasons why you'll enjoy your time here.
You can walk easily and safely to Pittsburgh's top venues, or hop on the "T" (Pittsburgh's light rail system) and ride for free in the Downtown "Golden Triangle" area.
Pittsburgh is also a stunningly beautiful city with three converging rivers, picturesque hills, a scenic riverside park with walking trails, and stately buildings dating back to its Steel City days.
And in case you need another reason for heading to Pittsburgh for some entertainment: very affordable tickets to games and shows - a real bargain compared with other large East Coast cities.
This Pittsburgh visitors guide includes everything you need to know about sports, concerts, and other things to do here, where to stay, fun places to eat, interesting tours, local transportation, and the easiest parking for stadium events.
Have fun in Pittsburgh! And be ready to fall in love with this 21st century city with a historic past and so much to offer.
Fun Pittsburgh Facts:
- Pittsburgh boasts the highest number of bars per capita in the U.S.
- Pittsburgh has 446 bridges - although only 26 of them span the city's three rivers
- Why are locals are called "Yinzers"? Because they say yinz for the plural of you - like y'all in the South and youse in New Jersey
Pittsburgh Sports & Concerts: What's On
Pittsburgh's biggest stadiums and arenas - PNC Park, Acrisure Stadium, PPG Paints Arena - host home games for the Pirates, Steelers, Penguins, and United Soccer League's Pittsburgh Riverhounds, as well as University of Pittsburgh, Duquesne University, and Robert Morris University collegiate teams.
You'll also see WWE, other sports events, Disney on Ice, and the city's biggest concerts at these venues, especially PPG Paints Center.
Here's what's happening at each of these top three entertainment venues:
Get Ticket Discounts
Ticket Discount Code: Enter DISCOVERY 10 to save 10% on TicketNetwork & TicketLiquidator tickets
PNC Park - Schedules & Tickets
This is where you'll see Pittsburgh Pirates home games during spring, summer, and fall, plus summer outdoor concerts and special winter events.
Acrisure Stadium - Schedules & Tickets
Watch the NFL's Steelers play their home games here, plus you can catch plenty of collegiate games, concerts by top artists, and other special events.
PPG Paints Arena - Schedules & Tickets
The NHL's Penguins share this area with popular concerts, special events such as Jurassic World Live Tour and WWE Smackdown, Cirque du Soleil, Monster Jam, Disney on Ice, and more.
Ticket Discount Code: Enter DISCOVERY 10 to save 10% on TicketNetwork & TicketLiquidator tickets
Pittsburgh Hotels near PNC Park, Acrisure Stadium, & PPG Paints Arena
All three of Pittsburgh's major sports/concert venues are located close to the city's central core, which means you can choose from numerous hotels at all price points.
Downtown Pittsburgh Hotels
Stay in a Downtown Pittsburgh hotel, and you'll be close to all the venues. You'll have fun exploring this neighborhood's lively dining and nightlife scene while being a 5-10 minute walk from PPG Paints Arena, and equally close to PNC Park and Acrisure Stadium across the Clemente Bridge. Here are our top picks at different price points:
- Renaissance Pittsburgh Hotel - Downtown riverfront location - walk across the scenic Clemente Bridge to PNC Park and Acrisure Stadium
- Doubletree by Hilton Downtown Pittsburgh - Spacious rooms and suites at affordable rates. Request a Downtown view
- Kimpton Hotel Monaco Pittsburgh - Great location and affordable rates, great style and comfort. Traveling with friends? Choose a suite like the one shown above!
- Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Pittsburgh - Wonderful location next to Market Square and plenty of fun places to eat and drink
- Fairmont Pittsburgh - Luxury hotel offering top amenities and service, and a modern vibe. Surrounded by many restaurants of all types
North Side Hotels Close to PNC Park & Acrisure Stadium
North Shore Pittsburgh hotels work equally well for both PNC Park and Acrisure Stadium, with only a 5-10 minute walk to reach either of them. They're also close to Rivers Casino, the Andy Warhol Museum, and Pittsburgh's Children's Museum:
- Hyatt Place Pittsburgh North Shore - Close to PNC Park, Acrisure Stadium, and Rivers Casino, with inexpensive onsite parking and a hotel shuttle to Downtown
- Springhill Suites by Marriott Pittsburgh - All-Suites hotel next to PNC Park and 5-minute walk to Acrisure Stadium; affordable rates, hotel shuttle to other parts of the city
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh North Shore - 2-5 minute walk to PNC Park and Acrisure Stadium, affordable rates, easy parking
- Residence Inn by Marriott Pittsburgh North Shore - Across the street from PNC Park and easy walking distance to Acrisure Stadium, restaurants, and nightlife
- The Parador Inn - Historic B&B with a Caribbean theme, gorgeous period furniture, comfy beds, and a lovely garden
Uptown Hotels near PPG Paints Arena
If PPG Paints Arena is your destination, its location on the edge of the Uptown neighborhood gives you a couple of additional choices. Avoid North Shore hotels, which are much less convenient to the Arena.)
These two Uptown hotels are across the street from PPG Paints Arena - can't beat the convenience!
- Cambria - Awesome state-of-the-art fitness center, indoor pool, and onsite restaurants - the Pittsburgh Penguins' official hotel!
- Omni William Penn - Luxurious public spaces, comfortable guestrooms, a 24-hour fitness center, and onsite restaurants make this the Steelers' preferred hotel
East Liberty Hotels
Experience the hippest part of Pittsburgh by staying in the East Liberty neighborhood, about 2 miles from PPG Paints Arena and less than 4 miles from PNC Park and Acrisure Stadium:
- Kasa the Maverick - Known for its fun hipster vibe, minimalist furnishings, huge windows, high ceilings
- Hotel Indigo East Liberty - Boutique hotel with plush bedding, designer touches, and spa showers near Carnegie Mellon University, Carnegie Museum, and the University of Pittsburgh.
Map Showing Pittsburgh Hotels, Deals, Best Rates
Use this map to enter your dates and find best rates (including discounted rates and deals) on available Pittsburgh hotels and apartments:
Where to Eat & Drink Near Pittsburgh Stadiums
You'll find plenty of food and drink concessions at PNC Park, Acrisure Stadium, and PPG Paints Arena including outposts of local bars and restaurants offering their own specialties and local fare way beyond the standard stadium hot dogs, nachos, and fries.
As in ballparks, stadiums, and arenas everywhere, you'll probably consider prices for food and drinks to be on the high side - think of it as a "convenience" tax.
But no worries. Outside the venues, you have your choice of lots of tasty and affordable options.
A "must-do": Sample Pittsburgh's thriving brewpub scene famous for its craft beers and tasty food including local specialties.
With PNC Park and Heinz Field less than half a mile apart, plenty of sports bars and casual spots to eat and drink fill the North Shore, and you'll have even more choices across the Clemente Bridge in Downtown Pittsburgh.
Here are a few you won't want to miss, as well as a hotel bar to check out:
North Shore Bars & Restaurants near PNC Park & Heinz Field
- Beerhead Bar & Eatery (110 Federal Street across from the ballpark) - Love beer? You'll find hundreds of choices here, including craft beers from around the country. If you want to eat there too, bring your own food or order from the delivery menus they keep on hand.
More Ways to Enjoy Pittsburgh's Food Culture
Downtown Pittsburgh Food & Drink
- Meat & Potatoes (649 Penn Ave) - Choose the rib eye steak for two and customize your sauces, sides, and potatoes, go for a burger with a side of poutine, or indulge in any of the other meat-centric specialties. Mussels and frites hit the spot too!
- Proper Brick Oven & Tap Room (139 7th Street) - Craft beers on tap, pizza, salads, and Italian specialties emphasizing local seasonal produce with almost everything made from scratch, including the delicious fresh mozzarella, pastas, and desserts.
Pittsburgh Hotel Bars & Restaurants
- Biergarten at Kimpton Hotel Monaco (Downtown) - Relax on the Biergarten's appealing 9th floor rooftop patio bar and enjoy a winning combination of European beverages, German specialties to munch on, pub games, and sweeping city views.
More Pittsburgh Attractions & Things to Do
Visiting Pittsburgh to attend a PNC Park event? Don't miss these top attractions and fun things to do:
- Top Pittsburgh Attractions - Acrisure Field and the Pittsburgh Steelers, PPG Paints Arena and the Pittsburgh Penguins, Andy Warhol Museum (117 Sandusky, 2-minute walk from PNC Park), Market Square (intersection of Market Street and Forbes Ave - restaurants, street vendors, pop-up markets, and cool architecture), Rivers Casino (777 Casino Drive, 1 block from Heinz Field)
- Kids' Favorites in Pittsburgh - Children's Museum of Pittsburgh (10 Children's Way, close to PNC Park), Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium (1 Wild Place), Carnegie Science Center (1 Allegheny Drive, across from Heinz Field)
More Fun Things to Do in Pittsburgh
Transportation to Pittsburgh Stadiums & Arenas
Wondering how to get to your Pittsburgh game or concert ?
Get there the easy and stress-free way: Pittsburgh's light rail system - the "T" - runs through the Downtown business district and North Shore neighborhoods. Stations near PNC Park (North Side Station), Acrisure Stadium (Allegheny Station), and PPG Paints Arena (Steel Plaza Station), as well as the many hotels in these areas, so no need to bring your car into the city. Best of all, T service between Downtown and North Shore stations is free.
Traffic gets congested around PNC Park, Acrisure Stadium, and PPG Paints Arena, and parking nearby can be expensive, especially on the North Shore where private garages outnumber more affordable municipal facilities. You'll usually find the best rates (and be able to reserve a spot) by using a parking app such as SpotHero.
So if you're coming from farther away, here's our best tip for saving a few dollars (and maybe a few gray hairs): Park near a Downtown station further from these sports/entertainment venues such as the First Avenue Garage next to First Avenue T Station or the Mellon Square Garage near Wood Street T Station and then ride for free to your destination.
On game days at PNC Park and Acrisure Stadium, the Roberto Clemente Bridge closes to vehicle traffic and becomes pedestrian-only so if you're coming from out of town and staying in a downtown hotel, join the throngs of other fans and walk across the bridge to the stadium.
Please note: The Clemente Bridge will be closed for renovations until 2023. Until it reopens, walk over the Andy Warhol Bridge (7th Street) to get to PNC Park and Acrisure Stadium.
Pittsburgh Gift Ideas
Need a nice Pittsburgh-related gift for a friend, family member, or colleague?
Check out these cool Pittsburgh gift ideas from Amazon: Pittsburgh shirts, NFL can coolers and beer holders, Christmas ornaments, team socks, wall art, bags, insulated mugs, and lots more!